Kinefinity E mount and 3rd party adapters…

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  raafi 3 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

bitnaut
    Participant

In the product description page of the Kinefinity E mount adapter, they state that 3rd party adapters may not work.

Does this mean I can’t put a Metabones adapter onto the Kinefinity E mount adapter to use my PL and Nikon lenses?

raafi

Not sure – I know that the E mount is for manual lenses only. If a manual Nikon or PL mount manual lens already works on your metabones on a Sony camera I’d assume that it works on Kinefinity, but haven’t tried it myself. Anyone else tried this? I met a Terra 6k owner who had the E mount and an E mount electronic ND – EF adapter and that worked for him.

bitnaut
    Participant

Cool because I have Nikon and PL mount manual lenses and Metabones Speedbooster PL to E and Nikon to E so I figured I could just get my MAVO with the E to Kinemount adapter and I should be all good.

I’m just wary of their 3rd party adapter warning but I could see how that would only apply to ones with electronic contacts.

bitnaut
    Participant

Re-reading Kinefinity’s warning leads me to believe that maybe Metabones E mount adapters may not work with their E mount adapter.

Here’s their warning: “Notice: The third-party adapter may not work on SONY E mounting adapter to turn E mount to EF or PL mount; some modified E lenses also may not be used on the E mounting adapter of TERRA.”

j_szczygiel
    Participant

It can be more possible with adapters for Nikon as they usually have an aperture control ring. Adapters with Canon EF mount need electronics to control aperture settings – maybe that’s the hassle as the E-mount adapter probably doesn’t offer this feature (they wrote it doesn’t work with G-master lenses). Has anybody tried?

observe8
    Participant

I think Raafi is referring to me.
    I use the Sony E mount on a Terra6k. I use a Aputure ND dec.

It does not fit. I also used the DEO-Tech OWL adapter, it also did not fit.
    had to return it. After modifying the Sony E mount (had to sand it down and cut off parts, then the Aputure DEC worked.

So the general answer is you have to try it. It depends on if there is space/clearance.

bitnaut
    Participant

Well that sucks…it’d be nice to know before ordering whether the Metabones PL and Nikon adapters will fit.

bitnaut
    Participant

I’ve just heard from Kinefinity. They say that using Metabones adapters with their E mount adapter may destroy their mount. I’m guessing because it has electronic contacts which the Metabones does not have.

I was hoping to avoid having to buy separate adapters all over again for all my Nikon and PL mount lenses. 🙁

raafi

That sucks. Yeah it’d be nice if they worked together. In the long run it’s probably better not to use multiple adapters just because it probably weakens the connection and has the potential to throw off infinity focus. But… it’d be nice to just have it working as a stopgap, too.

bitnaut
    Participant

Now I’m not sure what to order since I have an even mix of Nikon and PL mount lenses plus all the Metabones adapters and Speedboosters for each to E mount.

Argh!

1+

Users who have liked this topic:

bitnaut
    Participant

Well I ordered the E mount anyway and will modify it to take the Metabones adapters. It’s the best for my situation having 3 other E mount cameras in addition to the incoming Mavo.

ntouched
    Participant

Here’s the reply I received from the Kine Team in regards to my question on using a Metabones Speedbooster with my Leica R Lenses for “E” Mount.

Hi Troy,

Have to tell you that we haven’t tested it, and don’t suggest you to do so as it may damage the E mounting adapter.

Thanks,

Kine Team

• This reply was modified 4 days, 9 hours ago by  ntouched.

ntouched
    Participant

Thinking about sending my Leica Lenses to Duclos (here in California) for Cine-Mod and changing them to EF mount. Probably going to change my mount order for my Terra 4K to Kine EF Mounting Adapter II .

raafi

@ntouched – I used to have a set of Leica R primes. I ordered the Leitax mounts and had them installed professionally, then bought the step-up rings myself and 3-d printed focus rings. Decent-sized savings over the CineMod.

1+

ntouched
    Participant

Raafi, you are full of wisdom and knowledge! Thanks so much for your ongoing input! I’ll definitely take your suggestions into consideration. Good job getting this forum community up to speed. Now we have to get some of the Facebook group members over here!!!!

1+

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar