Kinefinity Terra 4K Lens Setup. Which one? Contax, Zeiss ZF, Canon.

Tagged: , , , , , ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Filipe 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Filipe
    Participant

Hi guys,

I have my Kinefinity 4K arriving next week, and all my lenses are sony which doesn’t work on the Kinefinity. I bought the EF Mount, and I was wondering, do the Zeiss Contax hold up well around 2.8 for interviews? I was looking at the 28mm 2.0, 35mm 1.4, 50 1.7 (this one is cheap) and they are all quite expensive (MMJ versions). Should I just go for the Zeiss Distagon ZF and adapt the mount with better resolution?

For the Zeiss Distagon ZF, I considered the 28mm 2.0 and the 50mm 1.4 or the 85mm 1.4 (also expensive but considering the high prices of contax, it made me wonder). With this, I would only buy two ZF lenses and a cheap Contax Zeiss Zoom to have me covered in a run and gun situation.

The third option I had in mind is buying a Canon 24-70mm 2.8 II and just stick with that for now, and maybe add a prime later on.

Right now I work with two primes and a zoom, don’t need more than that.

What kind of lenses do you guys recommend? Ideally I want something that covers Full Frame as I intend to buy the Kine Enhancer at some point. I would love to have the money and buy the Sigma Cine Primes, but that’s out of my range right now.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

raafi

I’ve never shot on the Contax Zeiss lenses personally but I always hear great things about them. Another choice, that I ended up going with, was the Leica R primes. Both are similar price range so it comes down to if you prefer the Zeiss or Leica look. Both are German companies with very sharp lenses, so very comparable. Two of the longest threads on reduser.net are about the Contax and the Leica R lenses respectively (over a million views apiece).

I own the Canon 24-70 L – absolute workhorse of a lens. I prefer shooting on primes because they’re a little lighter, but if you’re shooting b-roll in a documentary scenario then a zoom can give you more options when you need them.

I’d read through those threads as they’re both years-long experience of shooting on those lenses with advice/tips, etc. Good luck!

Filipe
    Participant

Thanks Raafi!

I loved your review on the Terra 4K. Your review and Philip’s closed it for me. Two very different reviews but showcased the potential of the camera.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.