Mavo – colour grading and LUTS

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Andy 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Andy
    Participant

Hi All,

I’ve had a Kinefinity Mavo S35 for about a month now and would love to find out more about how everyone colour grades their footage. Does anyone have any recommendations on to get the most out of the superb sensor? Raafi’s Re/Connections is a good example as it was a gorgeous short film and color grade.

I’ve tried experimenting in Premiere and using Arri Rec709 LUT but not much other than that. How do you guys go about your workflow and do you use Resolve instead? i want to try and achieve similar looks of films shot on various ARRI cameras but would like to get other people’s thoughts on the Topic.

Cheers
    Andy

raafi

Hi Andy, I usually use the Kinefinity LUT as a starting point, or the ARRI one, which is a little less contrasty. From there I start stacking on corrections: usually Color Wheels and Curves if I’m in FCP or Lumetri if I’m in Premiere. For most shots I will add some sort of masking/window to focus the eye on a certain part of the frame. By the time I’m done most shots will have three or more corrections added beyond the LUT.

I’m still learning how to work with color contrast but often if an image is super orange, for instance, I’ll add blue to the shadows. I’ve watched a lot of color tutorials on YouTube. And even though I don’t generally use Resolve most of the ideas about how pro colorists work can apply to other software.

My goal is to work with less layers, though, and to get more done in-camera so the color process is more about enhancing than building a whole look from scratch. What is like, actually, is an Instagram-like interface with a bunch of looks and LUTs loaded so that I can flip through a bunch of looks quickly and tweak from there.

Andy
    Participant

Hi Raafi,

Thanks for your insights on your technique, i’ll take a look at using masks to focus on framing when i get the chance.

Cheers

Andy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.