My MAVO LF pre order is up! Configuration questions…

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Gualbert 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Clay Haskell
    Participant

Greetings Kinefinity community,

For anyone who has previously ordered and taken delivery of a kinefinity camera, could you shed some light on the process and how it works?  I got contacted from their sales team that my pre order is ready to ship in the next two weeks, that’s good news!

My 1st question is,  do you have to choose from one of their kits (Basic, Pro, etc)? Or can I choose à la carte?

I am interested in the Pro kit but the price keeps changing or getting lost in translation on my browser, can someone confirm that the Pro kit is $14,999.00 USD?

Very excited and looking forward to taking delivery, will share my process as well upload some youtube reviews along other BTS on my journey into Kinefinity….will share soon.

Cheers and thanks for clarifying

Best

Clay

toivoc
    Participant

I purchased the s35 MAVO. I ended up going down the a la carte road. I do think that if you take that approach there are a couple items not available for purchase. I could be wrong.

Communicated with the company through email. I asked them to send me invoices to show the total needed for payment. They then walked me through the process of ordering through their website. For shipping I had to use the special payment. Once my camera was ready the company was a lot more communicative with me. They shipped it out on a Wednesday and I came home the next week Monday with the package on my door.

Clay Haskell
    Participant

Thanks for the details, being that it’s in china, time difference and language…makes for complicated buying process but the team is communicating with me so that’s good news.

Do you know what the kine enhancer would do for the MAVO LF?  Would it make my s35 glass cover LF?

Curious if anyone went with the E ND options and what their experience is like, do you recommend it?

Cheers

Clay

Gualbert

Hi Clay,

The KineEnhancer is a Focal Reducer, so not sure what you mean with s35 glass cover FF sensor but it’s usually used for the “other way around” application, a FF lens on a non-FF sensor. For example, my KineEnhancer makes my sub-S35 1.89 T4K sensor a S35 1.31 crop factor. I’m guessing it would make your Mavo LF 1.0 sensor a 0.71 crop factor which I’m not sure it is useful? As for the eND although I don’t particularly own one I’ve heard good things about it. I have found myself wanting/needing tons of ND whist shooting in bright sunlight. Hope to see some of your Mavo work posted online soon! Cograts on your purchase and CHEERS!

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  Gualbert.

Taylor Morgan
    Participant

Hey Clay,

Like Gualbert mentioned, the KineEnhancer is a focal reducer. It is not compatible (or needed) for a full frame camera. Using your S35 lenses on the Mavo LF will produce vignetting and if you tried using the KineEnhancer, it would cause even more severe vignetting.

As for the e-ND, I have heard good things about it, except for the fact that you cannot go all the way to 0ND. I believe the minimum you can go down to is 0.3ND.

Your best bet would be to get the normal mount for whatever lenses you have (and maybe an e-ND mount to swap out if you have the budget), and then trade in those S35 lenses for some full frame lenses.

I can also confirm the price for the pro package is $14,999 USD

Looking forward to seeing some Mavo footage from you!

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  Taylor Morgan. Reason: typo and added info

raafi

Hi Clay, congrats on your order!

You can always use your S35 lenses in S35 mode on the LF. You’d need full frame lenses to cover the full sensor but the S35 modes on the camera shoot in as high as 5k resolution.

I have the e-ND PL mount – it doesn’t go full clear, which is the only drawback – its 0.6 ND at its most open. Someone (not from Kinefinity) told me that the advantage of their e-ND over other brands on the market is that the camera itself accounts for color shift in firmware since it’s one unified system. For example, the amount of ND is selectable with the regular camera buttons, etc. This bit about color adjustment has not been confirmed to me by anyone inside the company, though, so take with a grain of salt. And I haven’t tested the camera diagnostically. I’ve only been shooting scenes with it. The e-ND performs well in my opinion and is much preferred to always needing a matte box for ND.

George Nathanson
    Participant

Thanks for the details, being that it’s in china, time difference and language…makes for complicated buying process but the team is communicating with me so that’s good news.

Do you know what the kine enhancer would do for the MAVO LF?  Would it make my s35 glass cover LF?

Curious if anyone went with the E ND options and what their experience is like, do you recommend it?

Cheers

Clay

Clay if you have a big investment is S35 glass and want to go FF

Check this out:  https://www.tokinacinema.com/1_6xExpander.html

Haven’t tried it yet but have one sitting on my desk (My MLF should ship soon)

–George

Clay Haskell
    Participant

Thanks for the responses everyone.  I am working on saving up the $$$ so I can take a deep dive in the MAVO world.  Cheers

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  Clay Haskell.

Clay Haskell
    Participant

George, thanks for the tip…did you manage to test this out?

https://www.tokinacinema.com/1_6xExpander.html

Gualbert

Hi Clay and KineUsers! I am a T4K owner but decided to make the jump to Mavo LF. Figured a middle aged guy no kids, no debts and don’t need a Porche so the Mavo LF will be the midlife crisis toy of choice! I have the KineEnhancer with my T4K and can’t really decide if getting the $250 trade-in for it or to keep it and see what effect it has when combined with Medium Format lenses such as the Mamiya 645 series. If anyone in the forum has these and could do the experiment it would be highly appreciated! The configuration is as follows: Mavo LF + KineEnhacer Focal Reducer + Mamiya-to-EF converter + Mamiya 645 series lens. Interested to know if it yield good coverage or if it vignettes like crazy. Cheers from Hong Kong!

Gualbert

Got an answer from our good folks at Kinefinity Amsterdam and unfortunately the KineEnhancer projects only to a S35 size circle so won’t work reducing Medium Format lenses to LF. 🙁

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.