Been wanting to get the Terra 4k due to its compact size and an array of frame rates. Currently, I own an Ursa Mini 4.6k and Pocket4K, all rigged out. However, the Ursa is a bit of a big beast and pretty terrible when shooting anything at iso800 or above. My questions are as follows:
1) Does the Terra allow for the use of third party monitors? I have no interest in the Kinemon monitor, looks garbage.
2) I have a load of Samsung Pro SSDs, will they be compatible or do I need the kine mag?
3) Are there any black magic users who switched over to Kinefinity, what was your experience?
1) Yes via HDMI using the camera output or, if you bought the KineBack, via SDI. The KineMon is just an ok monitor and it’s perfectly suitable for indoors use. I wouldn’t go as far as calling it garbage as you did, but I get your point, there are plenty of options out there! Other word of advise is, before committing to buy your favorite 3rd party monitor, would be good to ask online other KineUsers to get their opinions regarding the specific brand and model you are after.
2) Any high data rate SSD should do fine but always ask online before buying a new SSD for compatibility. That said, I can vouch for SanDisk Extreme PRO, and the Samsung SSD 860 PRO as compatible. Of course, if you are one of those videographers that like to freeze a fly’s wings in mid air by shooting insanely high FPS the the KineMag is what they guarantee to work in that particular scenario.
3) The only BM product I have ever purchased, which incidentally I still own and would NEVER sell, is the BMPCC. That little thing is the best tiny companion a tourist+video hobbyist could ever ask for. When I got my original T4K, coming from the BMPCC was kind of a learning curve to get used to. With the BMPCC I could ETTR all day long not to worry about anything. The T4K is just more flexible and its lowlight capabilities and dual ISO are just awesome, so there’s not much need to ETTR as you can “recover” shadows easier and cleaner. Upgraded recently to the Mavo LF and that thing is just the beast!
Let us know if you have other questions and we will try our best to answer or point you to someone that may help you better. Cheers!