TERRA 4K versus EVA1 DYNAMIC RANGE…

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  raafi 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Dave Draper
    Participant

Being that the TERRA 4K allegedly uses the same sensor as in the GH5S, and the GH5S has less dynamic range than the EVA1, is it safe to say that the TERRA 4K also has less dynamic range than the EVA1?

I know that both the Terra 4K and EVA1 are rated at 14 stops, but in comparison tests between the GH5S and EVA1, the EVA1 showed to hold its highlights remarkably better than the GH5S.

And this is whether shooting on the internal codec, or externally to ProRes.

What are everyone’s thoughts?

raafi

The Terra 4k and Eva1 both claim the same amount of dynamic range but this test showed the Terra to have less than 14 stops. But from what I’ve heard 14 stops is the theoretical limit of the Terra 4K’s sensor.

Gualbert

Dave, based on a DR test I saw for the EVA (https://www.provideocoalition.com/review-panasonic-au-eva1-4k-cine-camera-part-3/) I would say they have very similar DR with maybe the T4K having 1/3rd or 1/2 more (when compared to Ari’s test in Raafi’s link above)… That said, DR is a very interesting subject as many count DR only if usable and others ‘what you can see in charts regardless’. In essence, the DR Wars is a rhetorical exercise in my opinion, interesting nonetheless, but it involves so many variables (i.e. lenses used, lighting methods, etc) that it gets the whole thing very convoluted. Definitely agree that DR is a major player, take for example the earlier ARRIs that even with 2.5K resolution, since their DR was 15+ their image is SUPERB! In summary, I am extremely pleased with the way T4K resolves real life image latitude… Cheers!

edit: By the way, Ari’s test was performed before cDNG was available and with the old OLPF… not saying that those 2 thing would dramatically change the results but, I think cDNG might add 1/2 to the DR results…

-Gualbert

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Gualbert.

ntouched
    Participant

Thanks for posting the Lighting Test Raafi!!! Looking forward to getting my Terra 4K!

raafi

Welcome to the family, ntouched

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.