Kinestation, why $349

silvertonesx24

Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:37 pm

I am contemplating purchase of a KineMINI. When I go to build the camera in my cart, I see an option to buy KineStation for $349. However, I see that I can download a Windows version right from their website (I'd need to contact them for Mac).

Why would I pay $349 for an essential program to transcode out of their proprietary format, that can be downloaded publicly directly from their website anyway? Am I missing something?

Wizard

Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:58 pm

Hey,

I actually did not purchase the Kine Station. After I received that camera, I emailed Kinefinity asking how to get the Kine Station and they sent me 2 links for it - one for Windows and the other for Macintosh, so I don't believe you have to buy it separately.

Maybe if you want to have only the Kine Station as a software for transcoding you might have to buy it.

Wizard

Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:58 pm

Hey,

I actually did not purchase the Kine Station. After I received that camera, I emailed Kinefinity asking how to get the Kine Station and they sent me 2 links for it - one for Windows and the other for Macintosh, so I don't believe you have to buy it separately.

Maybe if you want to have only the Kine Station as a software for transcoding you might have to buy it.

silvertonesx24

Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:36 pm

Thanks- that makes sense, as it probably costs money to license the Cineform codec

SaxRix
Site Admin

Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:57 pm

That is correct, Kinestation license is already included in any camera purchase. They used to sell it separately for the older cameras, but that changed with the KineMini.

Calomile

Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Pomfort Cliphouse supports all the formats the Kine cams shoot (including kineraw) and is considerably cheaper. Also has the ability to pre-grade your footage if you're transcoding into an editing codec like ProRes or DNxHD. Only drawback is that it's Mac only if you're a PC user.

SaxRix
Site Admin

Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:01 pm

Calomile wrote:Pomfort Cliphouse supports all the formats the Kine cams shoot (including kineraw) and is considerably cheaper. Also has the ability to pre-grade your footage if you're transcoding into an editing codec like ProRes or DNxHD. Only drawback is that it's Mac only if you're a PC user.
Note that it only supports CinemaDNG from KineRAW Cameras (thats what the older cameras were called). Not to be confused with the KRW codec. Though I'm sure they'd be up for updating it to include KRW in the future. Shame its only mac though as I use PC.

• Information