KineMini 4K Peaking?

Wizard

Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a way to enable peaking while shooting with the KineMini 4K? I was shooting the other day and was using an Ikan LCD external monitor, but the peaking would not show up, so I could see what was in focus from what was not.

Maybe the KineMini 4K does not support this feature?

Thanks!

PhilM

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:47 am

I have used the Kine MINI with a variety of monitors and have never such a problem, peaking worked just fine. Maybe you could try enabling red-line peaking on your monitor and then see if it works?

Best Regards!
Phil

Wizard

Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I see. But its there an in-camera setting/option that should be enable? because we did turn on peaking on the monitor, but the entire screen went red. Should the peaking show up automatically?

We tried on 2 monitors so far, but I will test it on another monitors.

Thanks for the help man!

Dave Chin

Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:43 am

there is no in-camera peaking. if you use the peaking on your monitor, it will use its contrast detection to determine the focus. note if you have zebras on, the zebras will cause the peaking to think it's in focus, so they will be red/whatever colour your peaking colour is.

i use it with both the SmallHD monitor and Zacuto EVF, and peaking works fine

Wizard

Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:03 am

So if I get a SmallHD monitor, will the camera still be confused on what is in focus or not? or that is just a problem that might occur with other monitors?

If it still gets confused, how would I differentiate overexpose and focus at the same time?

Thank you for replying man!

SaxRix
Site Admin

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:14 pm

I don't see how this is a camera problem since external monitors only read the video feed being output, the camera doesn't send any extra data about whats in focus etc. It is odd that its not working though.

Wizard

Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:30 pm

I am going to get the SmallHD monitor tomorrow, so I will see how it works with that and let you guys know the outcome.

Thanks though!

Wizard

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:17 am

Hey guys,

So I got the SmallHD monitor and was testing it out.

I turned on the Focus Assist feature and did some rack focusing to see if it would show what was in focus or not and I think it is working, but I'm not quite sure. Only very small spots show up in red. It is so small it would not be ideal to use those small red spots on set to determine if the shot is in focus or not.

Can anyone give me a small tutorial on how to set it up? Or how the Focus Assist actually works on this monitor? I'm pretty sure it is a straight process, So it might just be me not getting it.

I attached a photo of the monitor I bought.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (63.57 KiB) Viewed 2168 times

PhilM

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:52 am

Hey delanosamuels,

try to use a wide-angle lens and set the aperture a bit higher (like f5.6) and see if the amount of red dots increases.

Red-line focusing is a pretty standard solution with focus assist. All monitors and EVFs we use have this feature and you should quickly get used to it.

BR
Phil

Wizard

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:03 am

I knew red-line focusing is sort of a standard, Phil, I am used to it, that is why I was determine to get it to work properly.

I will keep your advice in mind though, thank you!

I ended up returning the SmallHD Ac7 LCD and got the SmallHD Ac7 OLED. It shows a lot more red on screen when using the focus assist and I am happier with it.

Thanks for the help though guy! Really appreciate it!

• Information