The Blackmagic KRW Support Persuasion Thread

A place to discuss your Kinefinity workflow.
Nicholas A Skinner

Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:57 am

The recent post by Jonathon Murphy over on the Kinefinity Facebook Group raised (or "resurrected") one of the most vital subjects to the future growth of the Kinefinity Digital Cinema Camera ecosystem: Persuading Blackmagic Design to support the KRW codec in DaVinci Resolve.

My comment on that thread:

"The most important question is about what ultimate benefits will Blackmagic get from supporting KRW, and thus aide their camera division's most direct rival and competitor? Finding the answer to this question, and then leveraging that answer in a chorus of mass persuasion from this community, is our best shot at actually realizing the goal of getting Blackmagic to support KRW in DaVinci Resolve. We must determine the strongest arguments, and then take those ideas to every BMD manager, relevant forum thread, incessantly but with love and utterly focused on that which will obviously benefit Blackmagic as a company. "What's in it for them?" is not only a relevant question, it is ultimately the only question, from which all others will find their answers."

Let's pool our ideas and form an actionable strategy, then execute our vision to finally get Blackmagic Design to see how they can directly benefit from supporting KRW.

I'd like to invite any and all ideas, however well thought out or fleeting, and gather them here for discussion.

--------------------------------

To get it going, let me propose what seems like a somewhat obvious albeit slightly painful solution:

Make Blackmagic Design a profit earning strategic partner in Kinefinity's growth by supporting the KRW codec in DaVinci Resolve Studio.

- A Kinefinity camera owner rate of $795 would put a sizable profit into the BMD pocket for every Kinefinity camera sold whose owner is willing to pay for KRW support

- The Kinefinity company does not have to subsidize this effort in any way, other than to fully back the effort and embrace working with BMD to implement KRW support in DaVinci Resolve Studio

- Kinefinity owners enjoy an "opt in" added value and choice with their camera purchase, a sort of upper tier upgrade

- Create a "Shot on Kinefinity, graded in Resolve" digital campaign to create brand awareness and fuel growth for both companies as well as create opportunities for Kinefinity camera owners

--------------------------------

Kinefinity has some of the best color out there, rivaling Arri and easily competing with RED and others. If we can marry Kinefinity color science and our great community with the grading and workflow power of DaVinci Resolve, amazing work will spring up all over the place.

Let's hear some other ideas!!

raafi
Site Admin

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:07 am

I love your "Shot on Kinefinity, graded in Resolve" idea. And also your idea of persuading Kinefinity to bundle Resolve with high-end packages.

Ultimately BlackMagic Design's move into making cameras complicates its relationship with other camera makers in the same way that Netflix moving into making content complicates its relationship with other content providers. BMD must be aware of this, but that doesn't solve BMD's immediate problem which is: though they may want to own the full stack eventually, right now the best way to position the company is on the strength of its high-end postproduction tools. Tools that have always been camera-agnostic.

One potentially compelling argument for them to support .KRW is the size of the Chinese market. I'm assuming that Kinefinity has a stronger position there than it does in the english-speaking world. And even if Kine is a rising player there, BMD should want to support a rising player in what is sure to be the large and growing market in China.

In the English-speaking world, Kinefinity is poised (as is BMD) to be a strong player in the worlds of middle-brow commercial work, and independent features.

Nicholas A Skinner

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:20 pm

Raafi - -

You described Blackmagic's basic conflict of interest between their camera and software divisions. Their support of codecs like R3D and ARRIRAW bring their strongest product, DaVinci Resolve, to the widest group of higher end power users, from semi-pros all the way up to many of the best post houses worldwide. Kinefinity presents a somewhat unique situation for BMD, I think, since no other smaller cinema camera manufacturer has succeeded in becoming a credible player in the way that both Kinefinity and Blackmagic both have in the last several years. I agree with your conclusion that BMD's strongest move is to leverage the strength of Resolve and their post tools.

To make a truly supportable presentation to BMD, we ought to find a way to get access to user data from Kinefinity, such as existing camera owners, quarterly and annual projections for 2017, marketing and sales strategies to grow those numbers, etc. Regarding BMD's priorities, I would also guess that BMD (and Kinefinity) may be looking at the growing market of entry level cinema camera shooters as the bigger fish in the long run, but that's at best a speculation on my part. That possibility notwithstanding, the potential for BMD to take $795 in revenue for an $8000 (ballpark, give or take of course) sale for Kinefinity is a pretty tasty share for implementing KRW into and distributing their existing software. I guess those hard numbers and supportable projections for Kinefinity will matter to BMD; how many of us will it take for BMD to recoup the R&D/coding costs to implement and then support KRW going forward?

Nicholas A Skinner

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:45 pm

raafi wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:07 am
One potentially compelling argument for them to support .KRW is the size of the Chinese market. I'm assuming that Kinefinity has a stronger position there than it does in the english-speaking world. And even if Kine is a rising player there, BMD should want to support a rising player in what is sure to be the large and growing market in China.

In the English-speaking world, Kinefinity is poised (as is BMD) to be a strong player in the worlds of middle-brow commercial work, and independent features.
China presents enormous growth opportunities for sure. As for Kinefinity shooters in China compared with other global markets, from my anecdotal experience I know several production companies with Kinefinity cameras, but I don't know any with Blackmagic cameras. The high end standards are Alexa Mini and RED, with the mid end productions using C300s pretty frequently. Nearly all of those are rentals, though, while the houses that have Kine cameras are owner/ops. I have no idea what the actual numbers are, though. I have seen one or two amateurs make first films etc with the Blackmagic Production Camera, though only a few.

raafi
Site Admin

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:21 pm

Another argument may be that by failing to support .krw, BMD is artificially propping up the market for Assimilate Scratch.

Nicholas A Skinner

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:33 pm

raafi wrote:
Another argument may be that by failing to support .krw, BMD is artificially propping up the market for Assimilate Scratch.
Definitely -- would any of us even consider Scratch if not for buying Kinefinity cameras? My guess is nope :ugeek:

Mazze Aderhold

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Nicholas A Skinner wrote:
raafi wrote:
Definitely -- would any of us even consider Scratch if not for buying Kinefinity cameras? My guess is nope :ugeek:
Possibly, because you've never taken a serious look at it?
It's so much better, flexible and faster than Resolve in many regards.
Not considering it, because it actually is not a freeware is not really an excuse.
Especially with the new high quality debayer in SCRATCH 8.6, you *should* consider it, no matter if you're a Kinefinity user or not.

Even if you're just using it to transcode KRW - it's amazingly fast, compared to both, Kinestation and Resolve. And it can also do ProRes on Windows, which Resolve will not be able to do any soon, if ever.

Seriously, it's great app and 200 bucks for it is not asked too much, given the value you get out of it.

VinceCheong
Site Admin

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:59 am

"Pain is temporary, cinema is forever."

Nicholas A Skinner

Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:10 pm

VinceCheong wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:59 am
Found this old petition lol.

https://www.change.org/p/blackmagic-des ... ci-resolve
Thanks Vince!

Nicholas A Skinner

Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:18 pm

Mazze Aderhold wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:23 pm
Nicholas A Skinner wrote:
raafi wrote:
Possibly, because you've never taken a serious look at it?
It's so much better, flexible and faster than Resolve in many regards.
Not considering it, because it actually is not a freeware is not really an excuse.
Especially with the new high quality debayer in SCRATCH 8.6, you *should* consider it, no matter if you're a Kinefinity user or not.

Even if you're just using it to transcode KRW - it's amazingly fast, compared to both, Kinestation and Resolve. And it can also do ProRes on Windows, which Resolve will not be able to do any soon, if ever.

Seriously, it's great app and 200 bucks for it is not asked too much, given the value you get out of it.
Scratch is definitely a powerhouse app, no doubt, and used by many high end post houses. The UX for me is about as frustrating an experience as I've ever had, which is to say i very rarely feel that way when learning new software. Maybe it's just evidence of some profound intellectual deficit on my part, although other software such as Resolve, PP, FCP7, FCPX, Logic, Pro Tools, and all sorts of other pro video and audio platforms never gave me the same intense desire to smash my face into the sidewalk and leap in front of a bullet train. But again, I felt like it was as much about my very right-brained idiocy as anything intrinsic to the app itself. To those who can easily and masterfully make the most of Scratch, I tip my hat.

• Information